Friday, April 27, 2018

City of Canton Welcomes the Avant-Garde Shows!

Meet Kimberly Downing from God's Gift Bakery...
I have a total passion for food, let me add GOOD FOOD! I worked in the restaurant industry for 30 years and now have extended myself to a personal bakery. I have been baking for 20+ years but have recently taken my passion to the next level. This is my first show with the Avant-Garde Shows but I do not plan on it being my last! 
My inspiration is my Grandma and my Mother. I watched both of them bake and decorate cakes all my childhood and wanted to be like them. What got me started with this is I made cookies for my brother-in-law and my husbands cousin and they were so overwhelmed with the goodness they both suggested i should sell them. The business initially started with the selling of the Chocolate Chip Cookies. My talent was discovered more as I experimented with other tasty treats.
I bake from the heart and I bake for the "normal" person. I don't agree with charging outrageous prices for my treats. I see my business flourishing with more upcoming shows and possible taking on more individual orders. The message behind my work is, The Lord gives us all a gift. We need to use that gift to the greater of man and what better gift to have than the gift of baking, and that is the story behind my business name, GOD'S GIFT BAKERY!

Meet Irene Dettmer from Quilters' Emporium...
Shirley Ramnytz Moll pursued her love of sewing and began a business, naming it Quilters' Emporium.  A year ago her sister Irene Ramnytz Dettmer joined her.  Since then, they have combined efforts to share their love with others. Shirley became interested when she was twelve years old, hospitalized with a ruptured appendix.  Her mother brought her fabric scraps and a triangle, and Shirley spent her time cutting triangles, she eventually made a quilt.  When she was married, she sewed childrens' clothes, and quilted gifts, now gifting and selling items for over ten years.
Irene began sewing garments and mending for others.  Her needlework consisted mainly of embroidery.  Shirley and Irene began a quilt twelve years ago ( they lived in different states, and passed it back and forth).  They finally finished it last fall! Both continued sewing, and feel relaxed and peaceful when feeling the fabric, hearing the whirr of a sewing machine, and seeing a finished product.
Their expertise includes quilts, household items and gifts, holiday items, sports and custom gifts, and other useful and unique products. Items include weighted quilts for "active" children and "Fidget" quilts for adults with dementia.  Quilts and wall hangings can be purchased completed, or as a "top," or as a kit, for your own to finish.  Quilt rescue and restore is available, as are memory quilts. Shirley is known as a top-rated seamstress.  Irene has won many blue ribbons in local county fairs.  Be sure to visit Shirley and Irene, and see for yourself what they have to offer. 

Meet Katie Kress and Derek Humes from Honeybun Homemade...
Katie is a wonderful stay-at-home mother to our 2 children. She was a kindergarten teacher before we had children. We live in Hartville, Ohio with our 2 children and 2 basset hounds. She has been making crafts for years, even before our kids, but only recently have we decided to build an inventory and approach craft shows with our booth Honeybun Handmade. 
As her husband, I am managing the business side of the endeavor.  Katie began painting wooden peg dolls for our children in the last year and due to the tremendous response we have had from everyone we show them to, we decided to start this adventure! This will be our first Avant-Garde craft show to participate in (and also our very first craft show ever!)
Katie is inspired by our children, and the desire to create toys and goods that are enjoyed by children and their parents. We strive to create items using natural materials that are safe to both the environment and our customers. In 5 years time we hope to increase our presence around local craft shows, and still be creating many items for children to enjoy.

Meet Sam Brennan from Night Bear Photography...
Names Samuel Brennan, I'm from NEO. I'm a photographer that deals with mostly Black Bears. I manage a wildlife Sanctuary in MN, where I educate the public about co-existing with wildlife. On my off days I go take photos of wildlife. I'm usually in Ohio 5 months out of the year. The rest of the time I'm in the deep woods of MN. I've been doing this for about five years and this will be my second show with the Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. 
The beauty of nature inspires me to create. I have a background in Film and Video and it was just natural for me to get in to photography. I have always had the eye for photography. My job brought me to an area that's surrounded by Wildlife thus giving me the chance to capture some great shots! To describe my creative process I would say, "Easy Does It." Waiting, and patience play a strong role in my process. Some days I have no luck and some days are just filled with great images for me to capture. I just go with the flow and hope the light keeps up. My message its just to capture their beauty and to educate anyone that asks me about bears.


2017 Canton Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, April 28, 2018
Time- 10:00am-5:00pm
St. George Serbian Center
4667 Applegrove Street NW
North Canton, OH 44720
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:







No comments:

Post a Comment