Thursday, April 11, 2019

Coming for You, Canton!

Meet Carolyn Bauer and Kim Holl from KAH Creatives...
I have always had an eye for decorating and design. I love to look at homes and watch HGTV. I have crafted for myself, but just started to get serious on what I want to achieve: refurbished, rustic and aged metal, glass, etc. My husband and I just started going to Estate sales in October 2018, where I saw all this awesome stuff that I want to redo. I generally can see it in my mind right away. I’ve been following a lot of DIT/ Farmhouse/Shabby Chic designs. I recently redecorated most of my home and I wanted to make some of the decor myself.

I encouraged my sister to start selling her creations at craft shows and I have helped her with her shows. I had have also helped my two very talented daughters at their craft shows, they are both artistic and own their own businesses. One is a graphic designer and the other makes bracelets and Malala’s from real gemstones. I have felt more inspired now to take my visions to the next level.
I like to make homemade gifts as it shows that I put a lot of love, time and effort in it and people appreciate that. My sisters and I have always crafted together and we always inspire one another. Once I started going to Estate sales, I have developed this vision of how I could refurbish the items I was seeing into something very beautiful. I took a shot at it and now I’m addicted. Eventually, we also want to refurbish old dressers and small tables.

I am hoping I do well as this will be my first real craft show and that people like what I make in order to continue to grow as a crafter. My passion for art is genuine and heartfelt. Art in any form is more beautiful because of its own creation behind it. I enjoy creating and sharing my visions. 

Meet Lindsey and Matt White from Fox Black Koi Candle Co…
What began as a love of candles and obsession with collecting them, turned into a passion of creating our own. In the summer of 2018, we began this adventure with the thought that it would be a fun hobby and nothing more. That quickly transformed into a business idea when we realized how much we loved the process of candle making. Since then, we have worked hard to develop a brand that you can trust and love as much as we do! When we decided to venture into the wonderful world of candle making in August of 2018, we had a couple goals in mind. First, we wanted to create candles that would be as sustainable as possible and to use non-toxic and phthalate-free fragrances. Second, we made a commitment to use fragrances sourced locally right here in Ohio, and only work with 100% natural soy wax grown in the U.S.A. Our mission is to spread creativity, good vibes, and great smells.
We both have a huge passion to create, whether candles or other forms. Matt – who has a day job in software development – finds creating physical, tangible pieces of work inspiring, especially since he works in a field that doesn’t produce physical things. Lindsey has always had the urge to create and holds a B.A. in fine arts. She finds inspiration in all things, colors, books, music, baking, smells and imagines each has its own story to tell, which she does in watercolors. For White Fox Black Koi Candle Co., she was in charge of designing the logo and branding package. 

We discovered our talent by accident! We had no idea what went into the process of making candles when we began, however, as we practiced and perfected our work did it become something more than a hobby. Attending craft shows and realizing that we were buying tons of candles is what gave us the idea! We decided that we wanted to learn more about making candles and started making them on our own.


Our philosophy is that everyone deserves to have their room smell awesome, so it all begins with a smell. With that mission in mind, we want to help people find “that smell” that will brighten their whole day, bring back good memories, or help them relax. We go to our supplier, located in Ohio, and sample fragrance oils by the tens and hundreds before narrowing down our choice, which is easier said than done. We take notes on the pros and cons for each, thinking about what will connect with our customers and will it fit with our vision. Once that is finally accomplished, we sit down and brainstorm a name and think of a color for the scent. We want to find a unique and creative name that also fits the overall notes of the fragrance.


Because we primarily sell our goods online, we don’t get many opportunities to interact on a personal level with our customers That means our five-year goal will be to get our product and brand in front of an ever-growing audience and connect with our customers face-to-face. Ultimately, we aim to build wholesale relationships with retailers who are looking for well-crafted and visually striking candles to put on their shelves. White Fox Black Koi Candle Co. was created with the mission to spread creativity, good vibes, and great smells. We believe that everyone deserves to have their room smell awesome.

Meet Kelmeny Nichols from Wander Brush Painting...
I am a 19-year-old girl from a small town in Mississippi. I love all things colorful and bright. I am passionate about painting and am excited to continue to follow my dreams and see where this all will lead April of 2019 will mark a year of this crazy art journey that I have been taking. This show will be my first! I hope to do more shows in the future.
I have always loved crafting. I remember my kindergarten days and the little arts and crafts we did. I also remember always being so excited for art class! The love of arts and crafts was just in me from day one! I follow many amazing watercolor artists and other artists on social media and seeing their progress and their work gives me so much inspiration and motivation to keep doing what I love.

I had no idea I had this talent until one Sunday afternoon when I drove into town, went to Walmart, and bought cheap supplies. It just felt so natural with me. I have been painting ever since! When I receive inspiration I immediately want to paint. I come up with a plan and an outline, then I begin painting, switching up details and colors as I go. If I were to describe it in three words I would say it is: crazy, imaginary, and incredibly fun!
In five years, I see myself painting full time and also having my art licensed through several different manufacturers, as well as having my own website and online store (coming soon!)I want to inspire others to chase their dreams and to find their niche and do what they love! Amazing things often start small you just have to stick to it and never give up!

Meet Sharon Arner from Lost Art Cards…
I am a wife and mom to three grown sons, and a (recently) retired registered nurse. I love to spend time at the beach and in my back yard.
I have been a maker since I was a little girl. My first memory of craft making was when my grandmother taught me how to embroider. Along the way, I learned many new forms of art and craft, including knitting and sewing. It is so satisfying to make something by hand.


About 17 years ago, I attended a card making class and was hooked! I have been making handmade cards for family and friends ever since. A card is a great way to make a connection with someone. Remembering their birthday, welcoming a new baby, or celebrating a graduation; these and others are all moments to share with the people you care about. A card is a perfect way to do that. In July 2018, Lost Art Cards was born when I opened a shop on Etsy. 


A card provides a blank canvas for which to incorporate an image with a greeting and sentiment. Nature provides much of the inspiration for the artwork on my cards. I frequently use images from the flowers in my garden and the pond built by my son.  Sometimes the colors or patterns are chosen specifically for the person who will be receiving the card.  Interactive cards are a fun way to send something unexpected, and photographs can be used to create a true one-of-a-kind card. 

Meet Marianna Cole from Re-BROOCH-Ables…
I am a mother of four sons and grandmother of seven grandsons. I was married for 33 years before becoming a widow in 2013. I remarried and relocated to my current husband's birthplace of Mansfield, Ohio in December of 2018. I guess that makes me an implant from Berlin, New Jersey. I have been creating brooches from magazines for over 25 years. I cannot take complete credit for the concept in that I saw something similar when I visited my sister in Atlanta at that time. I felt that I could improve on the product by putting my own personal twist on it which is when I came up with Re-BROOCH-Ables. I initially gave them out to family and friends as gifts and was encouraged to sell them as well. I do not have a website as of yet and primarily sell them at craft fairs, church functions, fashion shows, women's teas, etc. 
I have never sold at any Avant-Garde shows and was pretty excited when I saw the events posted online. I recently retired and look forward to getting more involved with participating in these kinds of events. I LOVE creating these works of art, pieces of jewelry, and love seeing people's reaction when they realize they were created from magazines. That alone is worth it all! People love the fact that they are their personal pieces of art and also that they are so versatile. I have customers who wear my brooches on their clothing as well as on hats, purses, belts, and necklaces. 

I am inspired by the fact that I can take paper and turn it into a one-of-a-kind work of art by using something that would otherwise be thrown away. I have donated brooches to women's shelters through the years and love making women smile with such a small act of kindness. I don't know f there is a particular message but I love making wearable art for others to enjoy. I initially got into the craft hobby because I am a giver by nature but then after my husband passed, I did so as a means to supplement my income. In 5 years I hope to have my brooches sold in departments stores such as Macy's.


2019 Canton Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 10:00am-5:00pm
St. George Serbian Center
4667 Applegrove St. NW
North Canton, OH 44720
For more information, contact Amanda Look, Event Coordinator at Amanda@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment