Friday, April 12, 2019

It's Showtime!

Meet Shannon Hunter from Canal Fulton Bath House…
My name is Shannon. This is my first Avant-Garde Art and Craft Show. My company’s name is Canal Fulton Bath House and I make bath and basic skin products. I first learned how to make bar soap, chap-stick, and lotion from a friend in the fall of 2017 for extended family Christmas gifts. I’ve been hooked ever since and have added Bath Fizzes and Bath Salts to my inventory.

Since my business is still young and I haven’t participated in many craft shows, I am still figuring out my brand. Two series that have found my favor and I plan on continuing are my “Frat Boy” bar soaps and the “Essences” lotions. Currently, the “Frat Boy” bar soaps consist of “Frat Boy: The Pledge,” which is a regular bar soap, and “The Frat Boy,” which is a beer soap. The next bar soap for this series is “Frat Boy: The Sponsor,” where the plan is to make it with whiskey.  The “Essences” lotions are lotions made with Essential Hydrosols instead of Essential oils or fragrance oils. These lotions are great for people that can’t take strong smells or have skin sensitivity. I currently have two scents within this series. I have many other ideas for product series but have yet to experiment with them.

My hope is that I will find a way to stand out and be different from those who sell similar products as well as create products that people love. I hope to eventually be in a position where my business can be an advocate for living life more simply.

Meet Michelle Santantonio from Lucky Suds LLC…
For many years, I have owned and operated a bakery in the famed Westside Market. At the end of 2017, I decided to sell my business and try a lifelong desire to try my hand at soap making. I found it came very easy to me as it is much like baking. Coming up with a recipe, getting the right mix of oils, butters, and ingredients to make a successful product. Also, in my limited spare time, I help my husband train and race harness horses. That is why my labels include a horse within a horseshoe. Additionally, we own a horse named Lucky Suds. 
I wanted to make skin care products and soaps since I was 18 years old, many, many moons ago. My inspiration is truly my customers. Many of the products I make are due to the desires of what my customers want. I listen to their concerns and skin needs, whether that be scents they want, skin issues they are trying to heal, or products they want or they can't find. Those are what drives me to create great, healthy, affordable skincare that is all natural. 

My creative process many times comes from something I see, whether it be a painting, a scent, or a feeling. I enjoy blending my own scents to make a one of a kind, unique product that no one else has and to bring the vision of color to compliment that scent. I've always had a knack for creating recipes. Like the bakery, it is easy when you understand the science of what you can or can't blend together to make things work. 

In five years, I see my products being sold in boutiques and I also see myself continuing to do shows since I’ve participated in six Avant-Garde shows already. I love the interaction with customers. It is very satisfying to hear someone say how much they loved a product they bought or being thanked for taking the time to help them pick out an item for themselves or someone else. I believe customer service is becoming a lost art with self-check-outs and internet shopping but I believe many people love to be attended to and when you give great customer service it makes them feel special and that is what I love about interacting with the customer.

I would want my customers to know that I handcraft all of my products from my own scratch recipes. My products are thoughtfully made from fresh ingredients, they never come from a kit, and whenever possible, I use local ingredients & packaging. I am always happy to listen to what my customers want & love to hear how my products make their skin glow! 

Meet Sarah Jennings from Sarah’s Garden....
I moved to Ohio in September of 2017. I have always been a creative person and I owned and operated a sign shop for over 13 years. Creativity has always been a significant part of me. After retiring from the sign shop, I could not seem to "let go" of the drive to design and create, so I started my business in 2018. This will be my first Avant-Garde show.
Creativity is once again a significant part of me and it drives me in life. I see things from shapes and colors and know what "I" like, but, I have to step back and focus on what others may like as well. It goes beyond my likes and fulfilling them to the process of creating something that someone else would like and appreciate.

I love what I do, everything from the design process to traveling to different craft shows. Doing this allows me to interact with so many fascinating people and seeing parts of Ohio that I might otherwise not get to see. Since I enjoy what I do, I see myself broadening my scope of travel and doing shows outside of Ohio and yet still being able to continue a home-based business.
My motto is "Add a little sparkle to your life," and that sparkle means something different to everyone. Whether it be looked at as "bling," others, so I have been told...look at it as "joy," "uplifting," or something that brings a smile to their face on an otherwise dull day. Yet, when captured by the sun, it lightens their mood and draws their eyes to the dancing prisms reflected in their homes, just as a child in awe with a new toy.

Meet Gina Dean from Mamma G’s Gourmet Caramel Corn…
My name is Gina Dean my company is Mamma G's Gourmet Caramel Corn and I make unlimited varieties of caramel corn. I take pride in the fact that I dehydrate my own fruit that I use. I also use real candies and different nuts. I started my business this past November. I was featured at Duma Meat's in November and December. I now do all types of craft shows and events like the Avant-Garde shows, VegBash and Pierogifest. I am also doing weddings, birthdays and graduations. 

I get my inspirations from my children, family, and friends. If you can think of a flavor I can make it! I'm now in Blended at Aurora Farms as well and am working on becoming a household name. I love being unique and making caramel corn that no one else has. I strive to keep moving forward and keep making new connections. I'm excited to see where this will take me. Remember it's never too late to have new dreams in life, you just have to have the courage to pursue them.


2019 Canton Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 10:00am-5:00pm
St. George Serbian Center
4667 Applegrove St. NW
North Canton, OH 44720
For more information, contact Amanda Look, Event Coordinator at Amanda@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment